This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Sautéed zucchini is a fresh and simple side dish bursting with cheesy Italian flavors. Garden zucchini is sautéed in olive oil and fresh garlic, perfectly seasoned with Italian herbs, and then topped with parmesan cheese.
I sure do love an easy and tasty side dish! It just adds to the success of the whole entire meal. If you’re looking for some more side dish ideas, try my easy corn on the cob, this delicious rice recipe, or the best green bean casserole.
What is Sautéed Zucchini?
Seasoned and sautéed zucchini is a tender and healthy way to cook and serve this fresh vegetable. It is the perfect complement to any meal and it’s an easy way to add veggies to your day. My garden is bursting with this all summer long and I am always looking for new and delicious ways to cook it up and serve it to my family. It’s so crisp and golden on the outside and tender and soft on the inside… It makes my mouth water just thinking about it!
Zucchini is so versatile and is a great way to make your recipes gluten-free and low-carb. It is full of fiber, and it’s a great healthy side dish or substitute in any meal. I love to use it in place of noodles like in my zucchini lasagna, or in place of potatoes in this casserole. But I am telling you…you HAVE to try using zucchini in your desserts! This cake is SO moist and delicious!
Ingredients in Easy Sautéed Zucchini
My favorite part of making this recipe is that it is so easy and doesn’t require many ingredients. If you’re like me with a garden filled with zucchini, this recipe is for you! Be sure to check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post. It lists all of the exact measurements for this sautéed zucchini!
- Olive Oil: The olive oil is used to sauté and cook the zucchini in the skillet.
- Garlic: I love garlic! This adds to the flavor of the zucchini.
- Zucchini: Feel free to cut the zucchini how you like! Just be sure to keep the pieces bite-sized.
- Italian Seasoning: I love making my Italian seasoning from scratch with this recipe! Italian herbs add so much flavor to this dish.
- Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper: Salt and pepper are important for seasoning.
- Parmesan Cheese: Shredded parmesan cheese is the secret to this side dish.
- Fresh Parsley: Fresh herbs for garnishing are both delicious and beautiful.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: This is totally optional, but if you want some added heat, add a pinch of these red pepper flakes!
How To Make Sautéed Zucchini
There is nothing quite like perfectly cooked and seasoned zucchini. I know you will want to keep this recipe on hand to use over and over again! Follow along to make zucchini that is tender-crisp and not too mushy.
- Heat Skillet: In a large skillet, add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook Garlic: Add the garlic to the pan, stir and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Cook Zucchini/Season: Add sliced zucchini, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until the zucchini is tender and golden for about 7 minutes.
- Add Cheese: Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the zucchini and allow it to melt for a few minutes before serving.
Sautéed zucchini is a great base for so many recipes. You can add it to other veggies, on top of some protein, or mixed in with some delicious carbs. There are lots of different ways to make it your own!
- Add Vegetables: Yellow squash, onion slices, tomatoes, or asparagus. Sauté and add any of these veggies!
- Add Protein: Add cooked chicken, pork, tofu, or sausage to make this a full meal.
- Add a Carbohydrate: Serve with cooked pasta, rice, or potatoes.
- Add Fresh Herbs: Fresh herbs from the garden are a great addition and make it taste extra delicious. Basil, rosemary, or thyme would be delicious. Lemon zest and lemon juice also brighten up the flavors of this vegetable!
How to Store Leftovers
The beauty of leftover sautéed zucchini is that storage is easy! It can simply be warmed up and added to any meal the following day. Add it to your scrambled eggs for breakfast, pasta for lunch, or pair it with your grilled chicken at dinner.
- In the Refrigerator: Once your zucchini has sautéed and cooled then store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat: To reheat your zucchini then microwave for 1 minute on high or until warmed through. You can also reheat it in a skillet on medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until warmed all the way through.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 3 medium Zucchini, cut into rounds or half moon shapes
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- Fresh Parsley, for garnish
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, optional
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add sliced zucchini, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until the zucchini is tender and golden for about 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the zucchini and allow it to melt for a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.