I must be having some major Hawaii withdrawals because I can’t get it out of my head! I absolutely loved this fun twist on sloppy joes. It has a little bit of sweet to it. These are easy and ready in 30 minutes with a flavor that your family will love!We just got back from a family vacation to California. We had such a blast visiting Disneyland, Legoland and the beach! While we were at Disneyland I lost my precious iPhone. I gave it to my hubby and somehow it got lost. We think possibly on Space Mountain. After the horror of losing it and realizing that it wasn’t going to be turned in, it was kind of nice. I was disconnected from the world and all of my emails and I was able to have a fun time with my family. The weather was absolutely beautiful while we were there and we had a blast. Now I am home and and facing the reality of many emails and comments to answer. And the fact that I have to buy a new iPhone. 🙂
I made these Hawaiian Sloppy Joes right before we left. I am all about fast and easy meals lately. The flavor of these are awesome and the added bacon is a huge bonus. 🙂 They had a bit of sweet to them and the flavor was the perfect balance. Everyone loved them and this recipe is definitely a keeper!
- 1 pound ground beef or extra lean ground turkey
- 6 ounces center cut bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice
- pineapple rings (optional)
- red onion rings (optional)
- For an easy way to cook your bacon, preheat oven to 425. Lay the bacon on an aluminum foil lined cooke sheet side by side. Let cook for about 15 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a plate that is lined with a towel.
- Cook ground beef or turkey with the onion and pepper until brown and cooked through. Whisk ketchup, pineapple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, liquid smoke, and soy sauce in a small bowl. Add the sauce to the cooked meat, pepper and onion mixture. Bring the mixture to simmer and reduce heat to low. The sauce will thicken.
- Crumble the bacon and add to the meat mixture right before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve on hawaiian rolls or hamburger buns. You can garnish with pineapple rings and red onions if desired.
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Weekly Menu Plan #58 - July 23, 2016
- Creamy Tomato Italian Parmesan Chicken - July 19, 2016
- Triple Berry Kale Salad with Creamy Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing - July 18, 2016