One Pot Beef Stroganoff – all the delicious flavors you love about this classic comfort food made easier in just ONE pan! Strips of tender beef, soft egg noodles coated in a creamy mushroom sauce and perfect for busy weeknights!
We have this One Pot Beef Stroganoff which is my easy take on the popular classic comfort dish. It’s made with no cream of mushroom soup and the best part of all, the beef and noodles cook up in just ONE pan!
It’s a super delicious and filling dish and I love the fact you’re not stuck with an extra pot to wash. That makes this easy one pan meal especially perfect for those busy weeknights or lazy weekends!
This recipe starts off with searing and browning tender and thinly sliced steak. I used flank steak but feel free to use what you like or have on hand.
For an extra rich and creamy mushroom sauce – sour cream and cream cheese are added to the pan right near the end. That delicious combo makes a world of a difference in flavor and goes perfectly with the egg noodles.
What’s amazing about this one pot beef stroganoff is how quickly it comes together. Warm, comforting and a meal the entire family will love!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ lbs steak, cut into thin slices (I used flank)
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon + 3 tablespoons all purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3½ cups reduced sodium beef broth (plus more as needed)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 6 ounces dried wide egg noodles
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (optional but recommended for an extra creamy sauce)
- ½ cup sour cream (I used full fat)
- freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Season the steak salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon flour. Heat olive oil in a large (12 inch) skillet over medium high heat. Add the steak strips and let them cook undisturbed for 4-5 minutes so a brown crust forms. Add the mushrooms, onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl or plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and melt butter using the same pan. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of flour and cook the roux for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in the beef broth a little at a time while whisking continuously until smooth and thickened. Add the red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Scoop out ⅓ cup of sauce and reserve to pour over the steak at the end.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then pour in the noodles. Stir to coat and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 10-14 minutes, stirring occasionally, and if needed add in an extra ⅓ cup broth or more as needed.
- Once the noodles are al dente, add the cream cheese and sour cream and stir until smooth and combined. Season additionally with salt, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce as needed.
- Add the steak and onions back in the pan and drizzle reserved sauce over the steak. Cook until heated through, about 1-2 minutes. Serve hot in individual bowls and garnish with parsley and freshly black pepper if desired.
More one pot meals from Life Made Sweeter: