Black bean tacos are an easy-to-make and healthy vegetarian dinner that the whole family will love. Flavorful black beans are spooned inside soft tortillas and topped with simple corn salsa and some avocado crema.
Why you Need These Black Bean Tacos
If your family is asking “what’s for dinner,” these tacos are your answer. From start to finish, they’ll be on your table in less than 30 minutes. They’re packed full of flavor thanks to a handy kitchen hack – store-bought salsa. You’ll mix flavorful salsa with black beans, taco seasoning, and sauteed onion and garlic to make simple and delicious tacos.
Then you’ll quickly whip up a 4-ingredient corn salsa and an easy avocado crema and prepare for your family to rave about dinner. During recipe testing, our youngest taste tester declared that these tacos are “the best tacos in the whole wide world.”
Bonus: They’re made with kitchen staple ingredients so you likely won’t need to run to the grocery store.
How to make black bean tacos
Black bean tacos are a simple dinner recipe that is made in just 4 easy steps. The full recipe can be found in the recipe card below.
- Make the black beans: This involves sauteing onion and garlic then mixing in canned black beans, salsa, and taco seasoning.
- Prepare the corn salsa: This is as simple as mixing thawed corn with cojia or feta cheese, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Make the crema: Mash an avocado with plain yogurt, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Put it all together: All that is left to do is warm the tortillas and pile them high with the black beans, corn salsa, and avocado crema.
Optional taco toppings
We love these tacos exactly as is, it’s also fun to switch up the toppings. You can create your own version of black bean tacos by topping them with a few of these:
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Diced avocado
- Salsa verde
While these black bean tacos are easily a meal by themselves, we love to serve them with Spicy Mexican Rice. You can also turn them into a Tex-Mex feast with a few of these sides:
I love tacos! Tacos are so simple to make, full of flavor, and everyone loves a good taco. Tacos are perfect in the morning, at lunch time, and the best dinner recipe. Feed a family or have them all to yourself. Tacos are so easy to make and always come out SO good! Try these favorites and you won’t be disappointed!
Black Bean Tacos
Black Bean Tacos
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed and dried
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup cojita or feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and seed removed
- ½ cup thick plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Make the corn salsa by mixing the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Make the avocado crema by mashing the avocado in a small bowl then mixing it with the yogurt, lime juice, and salt.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until it's translucent – about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and taco seasoning and cook for one more minute.
- Add the black beans and salsa and heat through, mashing the beans a little as you stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve the black bean tacos, warm the tortillas on the stovetop, in your microwave, or in the oven. Pile them high with the black beans then top with some corn salsa and avocado crema.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.