French onion soup is a classic that you can now easily cook in your instant pot! Flavored to perfection and topped with delicious cheese this soup will warm you up on any cold winter day.
Easy French Onion Soup
We all know that I have a deep love for my instant pot! You can cook up just about anything in it and you can even do it without having to plan ahead! It makes delicious spaghetti or even lemon garlic chicken. You can cook this as the main entree with some salad and French baguette or cook it as a starter to any meal. It uses delicious and classic flavors in the broth and the sweet Walla Walla onions really are what make this soup SOO GOOD.
This instant pot french onion soup only takes about 35 minutes. That’s from start to finish! That’s the beauty of the instant pot. You can decide what you want for dinner at dinner time and you can still have a delicious meal! Adding in the baguette and freshly shredded cheese to the top is really what takes it to the next level and makes it feel like you are eating this at a restaurant. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Instant Pot French Onion Soup
This ingredient list is a bit lengthy but don’t let that scare you away! Once you have all of these ingredients on hand then it’s a breeze to make! You won’t regret it. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter in this recipe.
- Olive oil: You can use vegetable instead if that’s what you have on hand.
- Sweet onions: I used medium sized Walla Walla onions.
- Brown sugar: This really brings in a deep, sweet flavor to the soup.
- Dry white wine: This deglazes the bottom of the pot adding in more bits of flavor to the soup! You can use extra beef broth if you prefer to use that instead.
- Beef broth: This has a lot of protien and it adds that rich and hearty flavor to the soup.
- Worcestershire sauce: Even if you can’t say this name, you won’t want to miss out on this in the recipe!
- Minced garlic: Garlic is a must. I know that I love it but really, it adds a lot to the soup.
- Bay leaves and dried thyme: These herbs really pair well with the onions and beef broth.
- Salt and pepper: Use these to season to taste.
- Baguette: You can buy a baguette or two or make one at home with this recipe.
- Gruyere cheese: This cheese is a MUST for french onion soup! It’s traditional for french onion soup for a reason! Don’t substitute this.
Let’s Make Some Soup!
Instant pot French onion soup is insanely delicious, easy to make, and makes fantastic leftovers. Give this recipe a try and you will never have to count on a restaurant to make this for you again.
- Turn on instant pot: Select the Saute button on the instant pot.
- Saute onions in oil and butter: Add the butter and olive oil. As it starts to melt, add the onions and then cook them for 10-15 minutes until they start to brown and soften.
- Carmelize the onions: Add the brown sugar and then cook for an additional 5 minutes until the onions caramelize. Add the garlic and then stir.
- Saute with wine: Add the white wine and continue to sauté until the wine cooks down and is gone. Hit cancel. Try not to let the ingredients brown and burn the bottom of the pot.
- Add broth and seasonings: Stir in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Lock lid: Cover and lock the lid ensuring the pressure valve is on seal.
- Cook: Cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Natural release: Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the steam before opening.
- Remove bay leaf: Remove the bay leaf. Then taste it and add additional seasonings if needed.
- Fill bowls: Place 6 oven safe bowls on a rimmed baking sheet and then fill each bowl evenly with soup.
- Add cheese and baguette: Top each bowl with 3 sliced baguette pieces, and then cover it with shredded Gruyere cheese.
- Broil and serve: Broil in the oven for 2-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and it starts to brown. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn. Serve immediately!
What to Serve It With
Instant pot French onion soup tastes delicious and goes with so many different meals! Here are a few things that you can serve alongside this delicious soup!
- Salad: Soup and salad are meant to be served together! Try serving this soup with some tomato basil salad or this wedge salad. They are easy and super delicious!
- Bread: This soup does have a delicious baguette already served on top but you can still add in some rolls or breadsticks on the side.
- Meat: This soup is a perfect starter for any meal too! I especially love it before I have some steak, chicken or pork chops.
- Vegetables: Try cooking up some carrots, asparagus or mashed potatoes to go along with this soup as a side. They complement each other so well!
How to Store Leftovers
French onion soup makes fantastic leftovers! Here is how you can properly store and reheat it when you are ready to eat it!
- Refrigerate: Once your french onion soup has cooled then place it in an airtight container in your fridge. It will last up to 3 days.
- Reheat: When you are ready to eat your leftovers, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Transfer your soup into oven safe bowls. Once each bowl is filled with soup then top with the cheese and place each bowl onto a baking sheet. Cook the soup in the oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced (Walla Walla)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Dry white wine
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Select the Saute button on the instant pot.
- Add the butter and olive oil. As it starts to melt, add the onions and cook for 10-15 minutes until they start to brown and soften.
- Add the brown sugar and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the onions caramelize. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the white wine and continue to sauté until the wine cooks down and is gone. Hit cancel. Try not to let the ingredients brown and burn the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and lock the lid ensuring the pressure valve is on the seal.
- Cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the steam before opening.
- Remove the bay leaf. Taste and add additional seasonings if needed.
- Top each bowl with 3 sliced baguette pieces, and cover with shredded Gruyere cheese.
- Broil in the oven for 2-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and it starts to brown. Watch it carefully so it doesn't burn. Serve immediately!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.