One Pan Chili Lime Chicken and Rice is made in one pan with minimal ingredients but is packed with amazing flavor! Your entire family will love this easy 30 minute meal!
This one pan meal is quick and easy! If you love one pan meals try this One Pan Fajita Chicken and Veggies, One Pan Southwest Blackened Cajun Chicken with Rice with this Red Beans and Rice.
One Pan Chili Lime Chicken and Rice
I am OBSESSED with one pan and one pot meals.
The whole idea of making a main dish and a side dish all in one pan without having to worry about separate cooking times, or dirtying up a million bakeware items is kind of genius.
And I’m always looking for simple 30 minute dinners my family will love so anything that can be done in about a half hour is right up my alley.
This dish has SO much flavor packed into it and it only calls for a few ingredients – you can’t be that!
It meets both of my big checklist items: one pan AND ready in about 30 minutes.
And this dish is one you can easily customize by kicking up the spice with some chopped jalapeños, or adding corn and beans to the rice right at the end.
My whole family loves this and I know yours will too!
What you need to make chili lime chicken and rice
Don’t let this list of ingredients scare you.
It is all simple ingredients that add so much flavor.
You will love how easy this recipe is and it all comes together in less than 30 minutes.
It is a perfect weeknight meal when everyone is busy.
Enjoy your dinner with your family this week!
- Chicken: boneless, skinless chicken breast pounded to even thickness
- Vegetable oil: helps ensure your chicken will not stick to the pan.
- Chili powder: a little spice.
- Paprika: some gently added heat.
- Garlic powder: you can’t have enough garlic.
- Onion powder: added flavoring.
- Cayenne pepper: a little bit of spice!
- Salt and pepper: just to taste.
- Lime: squeezed lime juice.
- Cilantro: add for a topping.
- White rice: I prefer jasmine rice but a long grain rice would be best.
- Chicken broth: soaks up all the chicken pieces and adds flavoring to the rice and chicken at the end.
How to make chili lime chicken and rice
I love how easy and simple it is to make on a busy weeknight!
Save time by making this wonderful meal that is going to be a family favorite.
It only takes 30 minutes to make and one pan.
Which means quick and easy plus quick and easy cleanup!
This is a tried and true favorite in our home.
- Prepare chicken: Stir together chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Season chicken with half of the seasoning mixture and set remaining seasoning aside.
- Cook chicken: Drizzle a pan with oil over and bring to medium heat. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add rice and chicken broth: Add rice, remaining seasonings, chicken broth, and lime juice to pan and stir to combine. Return chicken to pan on top of the rice. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until liquid is dissolved.
- Prepare to serve: Fluff the rice with a fork. Top with cilantro and squeeze fresh lime juice over the top. Serve immediately.
Storing one pan chili lime chicken and rice
You can prepare parts of this dish ahead of time.
This recipe is great to even make a meal prep plan with.
- Can you make this ahead of time? Yes, this is a great recipe to make ahead of time.
- How do you store this one pan meal? Once cooked, let cool completely and store in an air tight container for 5 to 7 days.
- Can you freeze chili lime chicken and rice? Yes, this is best frozen without the rice. Separate the chicken and the rice. Let cool completely and add your chili lime chicken into a freezer bag and place flat in the freezer. When ready to reheat, let thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- How do you reheat chili lime chicken and rice? Cook your rice ahead of time or during the reheating process. Add your chicken to a pan and cook on low to medium reheating your chicken. Place on a oven pan and cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until your chicken is cooked through or microwave you chicken in small time increments. This will ensure you do not over cook your chicken,
More delicious one pan meals
- One Pan Honey Mustard Chicken and Veggies
- One Pan Cheesy Chicken with Broccoli and Rice
- One Pan Crispy Walnut Herb Chicken and Vegetables
- One Pan Crispy Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken with Vegetables
One Pan Chili Lime Chicken & Rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- juice of 1 lime plus additional lime wedges for serving
- chopped cilantro for topping
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- Stir together chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Season chicken with half of the seasoning mixture and set remaining seasoning aside.
- Drizzle a pan with oil over and bring to medium heat. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add rice, remaining seasonings, chicken broth, and lime juice to pan and stir to combine. Return chicken to pan on top of the rice. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until liquid is dissolved.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Top with cilantro and squeeze fresh lime juice over the top. Serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
this recipe kicks ass. i make it all the time because it’s so simple and delicious and includes so many shelf-stable ingredients that i already have on hand, love it!
I love this recipe. I have made it for my family many times now.
Hi, I really want to try this recipe but need the UK measurements for the rice and liquids. Can you help, please? x
Hello! Sorry that they aren’t measurements for the UK! There are websites out there that will convert them over. I would try Googling for that!
i’m confused after the chicken is cooked you take it out. then cook the rice and serve right away. the chicken is cold by then.
After you add in the rice, remaining seasonings, chicken broth, and lime juice to the pan, you stir them together to combine. Then, you return the chicken to the pan on top of the rice. You cook it all together for 25 minutes and then serve! 🙂
Love this recipe. I have two questions:
1) my pan always get crusted at the end. So I have a layer of almost burnt rice on the pan. How do I avoid that happening?
2) is it only 186 calories for 6 chicken breast and rice??
This usually happens because your pan is too thin and the bottom layer of rice gets heated up too much. Try using a different, thicker pan! the 186 calories is per serving so just for 1 chicken breast and rice!
Made this for dinner tonight, I have a picky eater… she loved it so much that she kept saying it was delicious and proceeded to have seconds.
Changed it up slightly by cubing my chicken instead of making it individual portions, and doubled everything else for how much I made. (I had planned leftovers for lunch tomorrow but my whole family loved it so much they ate the whole pot.)
Will definitely be making again and again! Thank you! ❤
This recipe was amazing. Best rice I’ve ever eaten. The spices were spot on for the chicken. I finished it on rice setting in the instapot. It was perfect thank you for the recipe
If I wanted to make this with 1 1/2 cups of rice instead of 1 cup, how much should I increase the chicken broth? Would 3 cups be sufficient? Thank you!
Yes, that will work.
I cannot believe how much flavor this dish had for being quick and one-pan! I used chicken breasts and they turned out delicious. I did remove them halfway through after checking the internal temperature so they wouldn’t overcook. I didn’t have paprika so I used cajun seasoning. That kick of lime is 👌.This is such a scrumptious dish!
This was so easy to make and delicious! It doesn’t make a ton of rice, however, for the amount of chicken being made so the only thing I would recommend is to double the rice. Keep in mind that if you do this, you’ll also need to double or close to double your chicken broth (I think 4 cups would be adequate). There’s more than enough spice for the extra rice also. I will definitely be making this again.
Have you tried this with brown rice instead of white?
I haven’t but that does sound delicious!
We always enjoy this recipe! It’s simple and flavorful, and I only need to get one pot dirty. (One nit: I think you mean the dish is done when the liquid is “absorbed,” not “dissolved.”) I use a mixture of mild and medium heat chili powders, plus a little more of the cayenne…my teenagers like spicy.
I made this last night with two alterations: I added a can of stewed tomatoes and cauliflower when I added the broth. It was easy, delicious, and I’m grateful for the minimal cleanup afterwards!
I made it with pork chops. Devilishly good!
Easy and delicious – this does not disappoint! Once the pan is covered, I cooked the rice and chicken on medium low. Rice did not stick, which I appreciated (be sure to deglaze the pan). Yum!
Can’t wait to try this recipe! I love one pan recipes!
Are you supposed to put the rice on simmer or leave it on medium heat?? I’m confused.
You will cook it with other ingredients at a simmer/low temperature.
I’ve made this a few times. Delish!!! I’ve recently gotten into using an instant pot. Any ideas on how to convert this recipe for the instant pot…?
I’m making this for the second time. This recipe is so good and easy to make. My husband loves the rice by itself. It has so much flavor.