Pimento Dip is creamy, cheesy and so good! This is a fantastic tasty spread that is the hit of every party.
Pimento Cheese Dip
This well known “Southern” dip actually got its start in the north, New York State to be exact. But the South perfected this creamy dish post WWII, which has won the stomachs of many. This is in fact one of the most popular spreads and most used in the south. With it’s creamy cheesy flavor there’s little wonder why.
Pimento Cheese is one of those dips that adults and kids love alike. It’s also very versatile, you can customize it to your tastes. This is fun to make and delicious to eat! It’s a true favorite. It can be used in so many ways. And it’s so quick and easy to transport. This is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a party, or snacks for the kids, it’s a winner!
Easy Pimento Dip Ingredients
Just a few ingredients make this scrumptious dip.
- Cream Cheese: Can use reduced fat cream cheese if you want.
- Mayonnaise: Do not confuse this for Miracle whip.
- Cheddar Cheese: Medium or sharp cheddar give the best flavor.
- Jar Pimentos: Drain before using.
- Onion, Garlic, and Paprika: The spices that meld it all together.
Dip, Baby Dip!
This is so quick and easy! Have some fun and watch a movie, play a game and enjoy this dip!
- Combine: Place all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix: Using a hand mixer beat the ingredients till combined.
What Are Pimentos?
- Pepper: Well according to those who know, a pimento, or cherry pepper is a variety of large, red, heart-shaped chili pepper that measures 3 to 4 in long and 2 to 3 in wide. The flesh of the pimiento is sweet, succulent, and more aromatic than that of the red bell pepper. Pimento peppers aren’t frequently found fresh but are sold jarred in most grocery stores. You can usually find them near the olives or in the specialty foods
- Pimento cheese: is just a combination of cheddar, cream cheese, mayo, spices, and the key ingredient, pimento peppers. This recipe was developed in the early 1900’s and perfected after WWII. It’s become an extremely popular spread.
Tips and Variations for Hot Pimento Dip
- Mayo: Authentic pimento cheese dip is made with a good quality mayo. You can substitute for the mayo with plain unsweetened yogurt with success, but it will change the flavor.
- Cheese: Shred your own cheese from a fresh block. Pre shredded cheese often comes coated and will detract from the creaminess.
- Different Cheese: You can play around with the cheese to your liking. Use a combination of cheeses, or a different flavor. The type of cheese you use will definitely change the flavor.
- Spice it up: Add hot sauce or buffalo sauce and pepper jack cheese to spice things up. Using different spices can make this dip unique.
- Not Just a Dip: This a wonderful on bread and grilled for a grilled pimento cheese sandwich to die for! Use it instead of mayo on sandwiches for extra zing
- Top it: Put on top of grilled chicken, pork, hamburgers or other meat for a twist on the normal.
More Amazing Easy Dips
These are more dips to try at your next occasion!
- Loaded Creamy Ranch Dip
- Awesome 7 Layer Dip
- Marshmallow Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 4 ounce jar pimentos drained
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a medium size bowl add the ingredients. Using a hand mixer beat the ingredients until combined. Serve with crackers and veggies if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.