This tasty chorizo seasoning blend is so quick and easy to make but will add the BEST flavor to all of your favorite meat dishes! From sausage to veggies, you’re going to love having this warm and savory blend of herbs and spices to use for homemade Mexican dishes!
Aren’t homemade seasoning blends the best? They add all the best flavors without any preservatives! Homemade Italian seasoning, chili seasoning, and taco seasoning are a few more staples to try making! You’re going to love having them on hand.
Mexican Chorizo Seasoning
If you love making your own seasoning blends as much as I do, you’re in for a treat! I have quite a few recipes up on the blog now, but this homemade chorizo seasoning is the best addition to the list. Not only is it super easy to mix up, but you probably have all of the ingredients for it in your spice rack!
This seasoning is perfect for making authentic chorizo sausage, but great for ground beef and turkey too! It’s also a great way to add rich, savory flavor to veggie side dishes. You’re going to love it! My advice is to make a double batch of this. You’re going to want to add a sprinkle of its robust flavor to everything. Try it out in this slow cooker chorizo egg casserole or sausage stuffed peppers!
What is Chorizo Seasoning Made Of?
Time to break out your spice rack! This chorizo sausage seasoning blend comes together easily with simple ingredients you probably already have on hand. They have such great flavors! If you’re looking for exact measurements, find them all in the recipe card at the end of the post!
- Chili Powder: Chili powder is a must in Mexican cooking! I love using it because it adds so much flavor and a hint of spice as well! If you want to make your seasoning as traditional as possible, use ancho chile powder for that classic chorizo taste.
- Smoked Paprika: Adds smoky, warm spice with a touch of sweetness.
- Garlic Powder: You can never have too much garlic! Add some in for savory flavor that will complement the spices perfectly.
- Onion Powder: A must-add for robust flavor!
- Oregano: Adds a fresh, earthy flavor.
- Cumin: For the best pop of warm spice!
- Kosher Salt: I like using kosher salt in my homemade seasoning blends because it doesn’t have a bitter aftertaste. Sea salt works, too!
- Black Pepper: Adds an extra boost of flavor.
- Coriander: I love adding coriander because of the light and bright flavor it gives chorizo seasoning.
Using Ancho Chile Powder
Ever wonder what gives chorizo sausage its signature deep red color and smoky spice? This comes from ancho chile powder, a must-have for any kitchen if you love making dishes inspired by Mexican cuisine!
How to Make Chorizo Seasoning From Scratch
All you’ve got to do here is mix all of your chorizo spices and seasonings together! It’s so easy! My favorite thing about making my own seasonings is the fact that you can adjust the flavor to your liking. So feel free to customize your chorizo seasoning and make it just how you like it! You’re going to love having it on hand. It adds such an amazing flavor to so many different dishes!
- Measure: Measure all of the ingredients and add them to a small bowl.
- Mix: Whisk to combine until all of the spices are mixed well.
- Store: Store in a glass jar or container with a sealable lid. Store in a dry, dark place for up to 6 months or longer.
Want More Spice?
If you want your chorizo seasoning to be spicier, add a pinch of cayenne pepper at a time until you reach your desired flavor!
This blend of spices and seasonings is so versatile, you can use it in so many dishes! Although chorizo is typically made with sausage, this seasoning works perfectly in anything from veggies to beef, fish, and poultry! Here are a few tasty recipes to try it out in.
How Much Seasoning Should I Use?
My recommendation is 1-2 tablespoons per pound of meat. You can add more or less depending on how flavorful you want your meat to be! Keep in mind that this chorizo seasoning is densely packed with flavors and a little goes a long way, so always add less than you think you need at first and adjust from there.
How Long Does Homemade Chorizo Seasoning Last?
Even though homemade seasoning blends are made without preservatives, they still have a nice, long shelf life! Store your chorizo seasoning in a sealed jar or other airtight container in a cool, dry place for 6 months. You’re going to love having it on hand because it works for such a wide array of dishes.
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika smoked
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- Measure all of the ingredients and add them to a small bowl.
- Whisk to combine until all of the spices are mixed well.
- Store in a glass jar or container with a sealable lid. Store in a dry, dark place for up to 6 months or longer.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.