Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is a heavenly twist to a classic that will warm you through and through. Rich tomato flavor is combined with tender cheesy tortellini and surrounded by a creamy broth. It’s absolutely perfect!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
This is one of our families absolute favorites! Creamy tomato soup is such a classic. I love the added cheese tortellini in this soup. It gave it just the right flavor with added texture.The creaminess of the broth and the extra depth that comes from the tortellini elevates this favorite to amazing. Using the sun dried tomatoes adds an incredible depth of flavor your going to love. It’s warm, hearty and cozy. It’s perfect. Even my picky eaters ate it up!
Especially on a busy chilly weekday, this is the best soup. It’s fast and delectable. Trust me, my family wasn’t sure about it at first, but there wasn’t a drop left. It’s crave worthy and it’s indulgent on so many levels. From the pasta, to the creaminess, this recipe has it all!
Ingredients for Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
Simple ingredients, but big on flavor. Using shortcuts from the condensed soup to sun dried tomatoes will deliver exquisite complex tomato flavor without the extra work. Everything is easy to find at your local store. Look for the tortellini in the refrigerated section with other pastas, and meats. You can use frozen too. Just follow the directions for cooking.
- Cheese Tortellini: I used refrigerated but frozen can work too.
- Condensed Tomato Soup: Gives intense tomato flavor which is amazing.
- Vegetable Broth: Can be substituted for chicken broth
- Milk: Helps create that creaminess with less fat.
- Half and Half: Because you want a good amount of creaminess.
- Oil Packed Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Adds flavor and spices.
- Onion and Garlic Powder: Flavor and depth.
- Dried Basil: Basil just goes with tomatoes
- Salt: Just to taste
- Parmesan Cheese: A beautiful complimentary flavor.
Making Tomato Tortellini Soup
This couldn’t be any easier. Another reason I love soup so much! It’s so quick and easy that it makes dinner time stress free. Warm up with a bowl of this creamy cozy soup tonight!
- Cook: Cook the tortellini according to the package directions.
- Combine: In a large pot add the tomato soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, dried basil and salt.
- Boil: Bring to a boil over medium high heat and reduce soup to a simmer.
- Add: Drain tortellini and add to the soup. Add parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Garnish: Sprinkle with more cheese if you desire.
Tips and Variations for Tomato Tortellini Soup
Creamy tomato soup is such a classic. I love the added cheese tortellini to this soup. It gives it such great texture and taste. There are so many little variations you can do with this to make it your own. How ever you make it, just make it!
- Heartier: Add some protein to make it a bit meatier. Ground beef or even better ground Italian sausage for a hit of spice too.
- Veggies: Sneak in some veggies by pureeing cooked diced carrots, cauliflower, celery or squash.
- Spinach: Add chopped spinach about 5 min before serving to give it color and flavor
- Crunch: Serve with croutons to go on top for a bit of a crunch.
- Tortellini: Both frozen and fresh tortellini can be used in this recipe with great success. Take note that with leftovers, the tortellini will continue to absorb liquid and become large. The great thing about tortellini, however is that the structure keeps it from getting overly soggy. You can also substitute cheese ravioli for the tortellini.
- Speaking of Leftovers: This will keep wonderfully in the fridge for about 3 days.
Can I freeze this Soup
Yes you can freeze this! Just don’t put in the cream or the tortellini. Cook the soup as directed leaving the tortellini and cream out. Let the soup cool completely. Place the soup in either a freezer safe container that you can take out all the air. Or I like to use freezer bags. I can get most of the air out of them and I can freeze the soup laying it flat in the freezer for easy stacking. This will keep for 3-4 months. When ready to use thaw the soup overnight in the fridge. I like to heat it best over the stove on medium heat. While it heats cook and drain the tortellini according to the package directions. Stir in the tortellini and cream and heat thoroughly.
Make it in the Slow Cooker
This can easily be adapted for a slow cooker. Which is even better on super busy days.
- Cook and drain the tortellini according to package directions and set aside.
- Add all the ingredients except the tortellini and cheese to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 or high for 2-3 hours.
- 15 min before serving stir in the tortellini and parmesan cheese.
More Amazing Soups for Chilly Nights
Soup is so comforting and tasty. It warms you up from the inside out and chases the chill and the stress away from the day. Soup just makes everything better. Try one of these tonight!!
- Stuffed Cabbage Soup (in 30 min)
- Easy Sweet Potato Chili
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Copycat Zupas Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1 package 9 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cans 10-¾ ounces each condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Additional shredded parmesan cheese for topping optional
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. In a Large pot, add the tomato soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, dried basil, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and reduce soup to a simmer.
- Drain tortellini and add to the soup. Add parmesan cheese. Serve and sprinkle with additional cheese on top if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.