This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This slow cooker salsa chicken is chicken smothered in cream of chicken soup, flavorful salsa, homemade taco seasoning and topped with crisp-shredded lettuce, sprinkled cheese and sour cream. It is an easy and simple chicken meal!
For other slow cooker recipes, try these out slow cooker barbacoa beef, slow cooker stuffed bell peppers or slow cooker chicken fajita soup. The slow cooker is my favorite for busy days where we are out and about all day and all come home hungry. I love the feeling of walking in the house after a long day to the smell of dinner ready!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Recipe
I always like to throw a good Mexican dish into the mix. I got this recipe over at Chef Mommy. This one is definitely one to try. It is so easy. And the flavor is amazing. Remember how I told you I like recipes with cream cheese? Well I had to throw one in. The part my hubby liked best was the leftovers the next day. I got whole wheat Tostitos chips, poured the sauce over the chips, covered with cheese, olives, and sour cream, and there ya go, delicious nachos!
This was really a recipe the whole family went crazy over. It was such a big hit! Even with the kids! We set it up like a taco bar and everyone went down the line and chose their favorite ingredients to add to this delicious chicken. I just laid out the cheese, beans, tortillas, chips, rice, corn, sour cream and cilantro. The best part was everyone got to make it their own way. No picky eater drama for us! I especially love this chicken when hosting friends for dinner. Everyone is able to make it their own. It is such low prep and such great results!
Salsa Chicken Ingredients:
- Chicken Breasts: I buy mine pre-trimmed at the store which saves me a little prep time.
- Cream of Mushroom: or cream of chicken soup: This is what makes the sauce so creamy. I always use Campbell’s Healthy Request since there is a little less fat.
- Salsa: Choose a high quality salsa since this is where much of the flavor will come from.
- Cream Cheese: Can you really go wrong with any recipe that includes cream cheese? It adds so much to the smoothness of the sauce.
- Taco Seasoning: I always use my homemade taco seasoning. It lasts up to 6 months and is so quick and easy to make!
- Sour Cream: Use low fat or full fat versions depending on your dietary needs, either work great.
How to Make Salsa Chicken Recipe:
- Prepare the slow cooker: Place chicken, soup, salsa, and cream cheese in your slow cooker. Sprinkle taco seasoning over everything. Set crock pot to low for 6 hours.
- Shred chicken: If shredding the chicken, pull the breasts out and shred; return back to slow cooker.
- Add Sour Cream: Stir in sour cream and heat just until everything is combined.
- Add toppings: Top with shredded cheese, black beans and sliced green onions and chopped cilantro. (**Optional: Set aside some cilantro for serving)
How to Serve Salsa Chicken:
- In soft tacos! Stuff the chicken, salsa, corn, and beans into warm tortillas. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, lettuce, sour cream, green onions, olives, guacamole, or any of your other favorite toppings.
- In quesadillas! Slice (or shred) the chicken and stuff it inside quesadillas. Use the corn and bean salsa as a delicious topping just before serving.
- On taco salad! Keep it really light and enjoy the salsa chicken over a bed of crispy romaine. Add toppings if you like, but it’s certainly not necessary!
- In a burrito bowl! Bowls are the new craze everywhere so join the fun and let everyone build their own bowl with rice, cheese, corn, black beans, or whatever else is a favorite at your house.
Tips for Making Salsa Chicken:
- Don’t be afraid to use a salsa with a little more kick to it since there are so many other mild flavors to tame the heat.
- To make cleanup easier, line your slow cooker with a slow cooker liner or spray with nonstick spray.
- An easy way to shred the chicken is using a standing mixer. Two forks will do the trick as well, I just find that the chicken shreds easier and better with the mixer. And a bonus to using the mixer is when you are adding in the cream cheese it helps spread it evenly throughout the chicken.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- Place the chicken breast, salsa, taco seasoning, chicken broth, and lime juice into a crockpot.
- Set the crockpot to low and cook for 6 hours. At this point either pull the chicken out and shred it before returning it to the pot, or serve whole.
- Serve chicken with cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, and lime wedges.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.