This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Shawarma seasoning brings aromatic and authentic Middle Eastern flavors to your recipes. This easy to assemble spice blend is great to make ahead and have on hand when you want to elevate your cooking flavors.
Homemade spice blends are always better than store-bought. Spices are much fresher when the shelf life is shorter, so start making your seasonings at home. Some of my other favorite seasonings that are easy to make at home are my taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, and delicious Cajun seasoning.
What is Shawarma Seasoning?
Shawarma seasoning came about in the Middle East as a way to add flavor and spice to meats. This seasoning is so unique and delicious. It’s a shawarma spice blend of cinnamon, paprika, cumin, and a few other delicious and robust spices. When you put them together, then it creates a warm spice that will flavor just about anything! I especially love using it on chicken.
The great thing about making spices and seasonings at home is that you can really make them work for you. If you really like a specific taste or flavor, then you can just add more (or take away) that particular seasoning. Plus, this only takes about 5 minutes to put together, and then you will have it on hand whenever you want! You will love the flavor that this brings to your food, and it will be one that you find new foods to use it on constantly.
Ingredients in Shawarma Seasoning Recipe
Once you have all of these spices on hand, then you can throw this together anytime that you want! These shawarma spices are so delicious! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Cumin: This is a rich and heatry spice with a hint of citrus flavoring.
- Paprika: You can use regular paprika or smoked paprika.
- Ground Coriander: Did you know that coriander seeds are what cilantro comes from? The leaves and stem of coriander are called cilantro!
- Garlic Powder: I love adding in garlic powder anywhere I can and it’s a must in this seasoning.
- Tumeric: Not only does this add in a fantastic flavor but the color is so bright!
- Dried Oregano: This deep and earthy flavor really grounds this seasoning.
- Cardamom: This might be the one seasoning that you don’t already have on hand. The flavor is minty with a hint of pepper.
- Cinnamon: This sweet flabor brings a delicious contrast to the seasoning.
- Salt and Black Pepper: These will wnhance all of the other flavors in the mix.
How to Make Homemade Shawarma Seasoning
Take 5 minutes and throw this together. You can use it on meats, vegetables, and bread. Really, it goes with just about anything and adds in such a delicious flavor!
- Combine: In a medium sized bowl, combine all the spices and then mix to combine.
- Store: Put your seasoning in and airtight jar and then store it in a cool dry place. This seasoning will last for about 6 months! So make sure to label the container with the name of the seasoning and the date that you made it!
Can I Make this into a Marinade?
Yes! You can use this mixture as a marinade, rub, or seasoning! Combine 1/4 cup shawarma seasoning, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1/4 cup lemon juice to make a marinade. Then, whisk it all together and marinate with 2 lbs of meat of choice. Marinate for 1-24 hours.
How to Use It
Shawarma seasoning has a complementary combination of spices that enhance many types of foods. Give it a try in the following list of ideas!
- Protein: Try using this seasoning to add to a rotisserie chicken, lamb, pork or beef. You can use it as a rub or a marinade, whichever you prefer.
- Vegetables: Sprinkle it on some veggies and roast them in your air fryer or oven. Try it on some chickpeas, carrots, or zucchini!
- Grains: Add some flavor to your rice or quinoa by adding in some of this spice to it. Then, top the rice with your favorite protein and vegetables and you have yourself a delicious meal!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all the spices and mix to combine.
- Store in an airtight container in a dry cool place for up to 6 months.
- Use as a marinade, rub, or seasoning! To make a marinade, combine 1/4 cup shawarma seasoning, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Whisk together and marinate with 2 lbs meat of choice. Marinate for 1-24 hours.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.