Everything Bagel Seasoning made at home takes 6 ingredients and less than 5 minutes! You are going to love this super easy and fast divine seasoning.
Everything but the Bagel Seasoning
So you might be wondering why I would bother to make my own bagel seasoning when it is so easy to go pick up a jar at Trader Joe’s or even Costco. Well, it’s all about ratio control. This everything bagel seasoning recipe is pretty amazing as it is, but the wonderful thing about making it yourself, is you can adjust it to your liking. With a recipe so simple and easy as this, it just makes sense to make your own. Give it a try once and you will never buy it again.
Making Everything Bagel Seasoning from home is also cheaper than buying it in a jar, especially if you can buy the ingredients in bulk. My family loves this seasoning and we experiment by putting it on just about everything we can think of. Keep extras of the ingredients on hand so you will never be out of this insanely delicious seasoning.
What You Will Need For Everything Bagel Seasoning
I like to buy the ingredients at my local grocery store that has a bulk section. I can find everything I need there usually. If you do not have a store that has a bulk section, look for the ingredients in the Asian and spice aisles.
- White Sesame Seeds: These are the basic sesame seeds you usually find everywhere.
- Black Sesame Seeds: These are sesame seeds with the hulls still intact. They will have a nuttier crunchier texture.
- Poppy Seeds: Adds that bit of extra crunch and flavor.
- Dried Minced Garlic: Found in the spice aisle, adds incredible flavor.
- Dried Minced Onion: Dried onion comes in different sizes, make sure you get minced so that it isn’t too big.
- Coarse Sea Salt: You will want the larger coarse salt to go with the seeds and stick to the bagel or anything else you might put it on.
How to Make Homemade Bagel Seasoning
This really could not get any easier. I promise you, you cannot mess this up.
- Combine: Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir till combined
- Store: Keep in tightly covered container.
Tips and Variations For the Best Everything Bagel Seasoning
With this recipe being so easy, there isn’t much that go wrong, it can only taste right!
- Customize: Love homemade recipes, I can totally customize them to my families liking. If you want lighter on the salt, go for it. Heavier on the salt, you can do that too. If you can’t find black sesame seeds, leave them out. It is just that simple. Make the way you love it!
- Salt: You do not want to use table salt for this everything bagel seasoning. It needs to coarse, kosher salt for best results. Large flaked salt will work too.
- Add Ins: This is the classic recipe for everything bagel seasoning. It is what you are going to find in the jar you can buy at the store. But since you made it at home, you can add in any other spices or herbs you desire. Add red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. Add some Italian seasoning for a more of an Italian flare , etc. My only advice is to keep whatever you add dried. No fresh herbs. They will go bad in your mix and you will have to throw it out.
- Store: Keep your seasoning in a tightly sealed jar or container in a cool dry place. It will keep up to 6 months.
What To Serve Your Bagel Seasoning With
Besides being the perfect topping for bagels, this everything bagel seasoning goes with so many foods and makes them dynamite.
- Breads: Truly this seasoning was meant for breads. It adds tons of flavor and texture and everyone loves it. Try it on dinner rolls, pretzels, naan, cheesy breadsticks, focaccia, and of course the ultimate favorite, as a topping for Avocado Toast.
- Eggs: Another family favorite is to put it on eggs. Whether it’s scrambled, deviled or the best egg salad ever, this seasoning packs a punch of flavor.
- Spreads: Add it hummus, cream cheese or dips to add texture and flavor
- Topping: The possibilities are endless here. Top noodles, chicken, and fish. Sprinkle on top of sautéed vegetables, baked potatoes and salads. Flavor popcorn, pizza and sandwiches. And this is just the beginning. Enjoy experimenting!
More Seasonings, Mixes and Sauces From Scratch
Everything tastes better from scratch, and it’s true. Knowing exactly what you are feeding your family is such a peaceful feeling. I love being able to control some of the additives and preservatives that enter our home, just by making a few more things homemade. Most of the time it only takes a few ingredients and a matter of minutes and I’m set for a while. Besides my kids love to help, and then turn around and eat their creations in something. Being able to customize them is huge advantage as well. Here are a few tried and true condiments to try in your home.
- Homemade Italian Seasoning
- Famous Fry Sauce
- Homemade Cheese Sauce
- Amazing From Scratch Blue Cheese Dressing
- Easy Homemade Pancake Mix
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons White Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Diced Onion
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- In a small bowl combine ingredients. Use as needed.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.