These Chicken Fajitas are served sizzling hot with all of your favorite toppings. This meal needs just one pot and is ready in under 30 minutes. It’s flavorful and always a crowd-pleaser!
I love everything about a fajita! It’s meat and veggies seasoned to perfection and served piping hot. They always hit the spot! I have a quite a few fajita recipes that you are absolutely going to love. You have to start with the classic Grilled Steak Fajitas, and then branch out and try some Air Fryer Fajitas, and these super fun and easy Steak Fajita Roll Ups!
These chicken fajitas taste just like your favorite Mexican restaurant! They are sizzling hot with all of the amazing flavors of perfectly seasoned chicken, bell peppers, and onions. I know I love ordering them when we eat out, and now you can have the same great meal at home!
Serve these fajitas up with a side of Mexican rice and refried beans to get the full experience. While you’re at it, you could make some pico de gallo too, because a fresh salsa on top always hits the spot! My family loves to have sour cream and cilantro handy too, but it’s up to you how you want to serve your fajitas. You can make then any way you like them, just make sure to make extra because they will disappear fast!
The ingredients for chicken fajitas are really straightforward! Super simple to pick up from the grocery store and you will have a delicious meal ready in under 30 minutes. I like the fact that the chicken is cut up into small pieces which makes everything cook faster. This is a simple and easy meal! You can find the full measurements below in the recipe card.
Sizzling Chicken Fajita
- Olive Oil: I like to use olive oil to cook my ingredients because I love the flavor and it’s a healthy oil choice. You could use vegetable oil, or whatever oil you wanted.
- Chicken: You will need 3 lbs of chicken breast or thigh. I like to cut them up into pieces that are the perfect size for one bite. If they are too big they will be harder to eat out of the tortilla.
- Fajita Seasoning: I really love to make my own blend of fajita seasoning because it’s so fresh and delicious that way. It’s a mix of spices you probably already have in your pantry, and it’s totally worth making.
- Bell Peppers: I like to buy a variety of red, green, and yellow bell peppers. They all taste delicious and make the dish look really inviting.
- Onions: Sauteed onions are the best in fajitas! They add tons of flavor and extra texture. They also add a lot of flavor to the chicken.
- Flour Tortillas: Flour tortillas are the best for chicken fajitas if you ask me! I like to make my own tortillas when I have the time. You can also buy them from the store.
- Avocado: Fresh avocado sliced on top of a fajita is seriously a game-changer! Once you try it you’ll never go back.
- Limes: I love to serve lime wedges to squeeze on top. It’s the perfect way to brighten up the dish and it helps to bring out all of the amazing flavors.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro on top is optional. I know it’s not for everyone! For those of you who like it, feel free to use some on top after you finish assembling your fajita.
Chicken Fajita Recipe
There’s nothing to these sizzling chicken fajitas! It’s as easy as cooking your ingredients in a skillet, and serving up some delicious fajitas. I’ve listed other ingredients you might want to include like lime, tortillas, and cilantro. You can serve them with whatever your heart desires!
- Cook Chicken: In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and chicken. Sprinkle half of the fajita seasoning on the chicken and cook until no longer pink. Set chicken aside on a plate.
- Cook Vegetables: Add the bell peppers, and onion. Sprinkle remaining fajita seasoning on top. Sauté until they are tender. Add chicken back to the skillet and stir until heated through.
- Enjoy: Serve in tortillas and use desired toppings.
What to Serve Sizzling Chicken Fajitas With
I cook for my kids who are older now and want at least 3 fajitas each! I like to load up their plates with other delicious sides so that we don’t go through ten pounds of chicken in one sitting! Here are a few ideas for what you can cook up with your sizzling chicken fajitas.
- Rice: Whether you like it stuffed inside your fajita or in between bites, rice is a must at our house! I really like to make cilantro lime rice because it goes perfectly with everything in the fajita.
- Beans: Beans are a great way to get full without eating tons of meat. They are perfect refried or whole straight from the can if that’s all you have time for. Kidney beans and pinto beans are a great choice, but you know your family best. Just serve what they want to eat!
- Fresh Salsa: Fresh salsa adds SO much flavor to fajitas! Not to mention a little kick if you like that sort of thing! This blender salsa is a great recipe to whip up when you want homemade salsa in no time.
- Cheese Dip: I am in love with chips and dip! Another easy way to add variety to your meal, and make it feel like a full restaurant experience is to serve a cheese dip! Queso blanco and my chili queso are probably the most requested!
It is easiest to store your leftovers in groups. I like to store any fresh toppings together, and then store the fajita mix on its own. Keep the tortillas in their package and you have a meal ready to whip up again in minutes!
- In the Refrigerator: Store your leftover chicken fajitas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken thinly sliced in strips
- 1 recipe for Fajita Seasoning
- 3 bell peppers I used green, yellow, and red
- 1 small onion sliced
- Flour Tortillas
- Cilantro chopped
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and chicken. Sprinkle half of the fajita seasoning on the chicken and cook until no longer pink. Set chicken aside on a plate.
- Add the bell peppers, and onion. Sprinkle remaining fajita seasoning on top. Sauté until they are tender. Add chicken back to the skillet and stir until heated through.
- Serve in tortillas and use desired toppings.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Looks great, can’t wait to try it! Do you think you could use this recipe for shrimp ??
Yes! Actually, here is my recipe for that! 20 Minute Skillet Blackened Shrimp Fajitas