These baked chicken tacos are loaded with seasoned chicken, cheese and salsa. The perfect easy dinner for a busy day!
I don’t know about you, but my family would eat tacos for every meal if I let them! These baked chicken tacos are an easy dinner that the family is sure to love, with minimal effort on your part. This is the best way to make tacos for a crowd, I often make a double batch and serve them as an entree at parties.
This recipe starts with cooked, shredded chicken. I typically use a rotisserie chicken to make life a little easier, but you could really use any leftover chicken. The chicken is tossed in taco seasoning and lime juice and stuffed into taco shells. I like to use the taco shells with the flat bottoms for this recipe, that way they’ll stand up in the pan. I typically can fit 10 tacos inside a standard 9″x13″ pan. The tacos are topped with a generous helping of shredded cheddar cheese, then baked to crispy cheesy perfection.
You could actually serve these tacos as is with just a sprinkling of cilantro, but I like to add more toppings. Let’s face it, tacos are all about the toppings. I typically do shredded lettuce and store bought pico de gallo, but other great toppings are sour cream, diced avocado, sliced olives and jalapenos.
I make these baked chicken tacos almost every week, using store bought chicken means that I can have this meal on the table in about 20 minutes. You can customize this recipe by switching the type of cheese (pepper jack would be a great choice), or even by swapping out the type of meat. I’ve made this recipe with shredded pork with amazing results! This recipe is sure to become a family favorite in your house just like it is in mine.
- 10 flat bottomed taco shells
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (such as rotisserie chicken)
- the juice from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1½ cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup prepared pico de gallo or salsa
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the taco shells inside a 9"x13" pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, lime juice, taco seasoning, cumin and garlic powder. Stir until chicken is coated with the seasonings.
- Divide the chicken mixture among the taco shells and top with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until tacos are warmed through and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Divide the lettuce and pico de gallo among the tacos and serve immediately.
Other recipes you might like: