This zucchini soup has an amazing savory flavor, fresh vegetables, and is topped with the perfect drizzle of cream. Healthy and hearty, each spoonful will have you hooked with its silky-smooth goodness!
Nothing warms the soul quite as well as a bowl of homemade soup. My asparagus, mushroom, and butternut squash bisque are more tried and true soups ready to ring in cooler temperatures! Without a doubt, you’ll love them all!
Zucchini Soup Recipe
Zucchini dishes have been on repeat at my house this summer. I have loved having it on hand! It can upgrade any meal and add a healthy touch. Zucchini gratin, lasagna, and zoodles are just a few of my favorites. But now that nights have been cooling down, I can feel myself going into full soup mode. This creamy zucchini soup has been the best comfort food, and even with cream added, it is a low-calorie meal! For these reasons, I have been using up all of my leftover zucchini and making big batches of zucchini soup to eat and store. It heats up beautifully! Perfect for busy nights when you don’t know what to make.
And the best part of it all? Creamy zucchini soup only needs a handful of super simple ingredients to make. When boiled down, zucchini is irresistibly creamy on its own. Because of this, you can even make a dairy-free variety and omit the cream! I think adding a pop of cream, butter, or even olive oil just gives it a little extra indulgence. Whatever route you choose, the end result is going to be rich, creamy heaven. The Italian seasoning and fresh taste of zucchini in this soup really make it shine. I know you will be obsessed with this soup like I am! It is the perfect, tasty dish to transition from summer to fall. Let’s get cooking!
Ingredients for Easy Zucchini Soup
This recipe uses the most simple of ingredients. The great thing is, it can easily be customized! You can add additional vegetables or even meat to craft the zucchini soup of your dreams. There are also dairy-free and vegetarian varieties, making this a dish for everyone! Your family will love it. Individual measurements can be found in the recipe card below!
- Zucchini: Small or medium-sized zucchini work best in this recipe. You’ll want them cut down into quarter pieces.
- Onion: You’ll need one small onion, also cut into quarter pieces. I recommend using yellow or sweet onions here. They give soups a hint of sharp flavor with a hint of sweetness!
- Chicken Broth: This is the savory base of your soup. You can also use vegetable broth as a vegetarian substitute!
- Italian Seasoning: This is my personal blend of basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoran, and thyme. I love making this at home to personalize my blend! It works in so many different recipes. Anything from potatoes, chicken, to vegetables, and more! You’ll love it!
- Parmesan: Parmesan adds a delicious sharp flavor with a hint of nuttiness. Cheese makes everything better!
- Heavy Cream: For a little extra richness, drizzle heavy cream into your soup.
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste. Salt and pepper will help to enhance the overall flavor of your zucchini soup.
How to Make the Best Zucchini Soup
This recipe is great for using up leftover zucchini and any meat and veggies you may have in your fridge! It is beyond easy and ends up creamy and delicious every time! Honestly, this recipe is so good it’s the kind of thing you’ll want to make all year long.
- Cook Vegetables and Broth Together: Let’s start! First, in a large pot, add the zucchini and onion. Next, add the chicken broth Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the onion and zucchini is tender.
- Blend and Serve: Using a blender or immersion blender, blend until the soup is smooth and creamy. Then, add in the parmesan cheese and heavy cream and stir until heated through. Finally, salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Zucchini Soup Tips and Information
Here are some tips and tricks for making the most delicious zucchini soup possible! With how healthy, easy, and absolutely delicious it is, your family won’t be able to get enough!
- Extra Ingredients: This soup is so versatile! You can add basically anything you’d like, but a few of my suggestions are sliced carrots, potatoes, chopped bell peppers, and a protein of your choice.
- Additional Flavors: For extra richness, you can add butter and/or a drizzle of olive oil to your soup. You can also customize the flavor to your liking by adding more Italian seasoning and fresh herbs. For a little heat, sprinkle in some ground cayenne pepper!
- Zucchini Sizing: I recommend picking zucchini that is on the smaller size. The bigger your zucchini is, the more likely it is to be seedy. Larger zucchini also has tough skin. So if you are making soup with a big zucchini, peel it first for best results.
- Benefits: In addition to being absolutely delicious, zucchini is a super healthy veggie! It’s rich in vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, and is heart-healthy! Zucchini is also full of water to help hydrate and aid your digestive system. Another reason why this soup is the best!
My Favorite Soup Sides
We all love a good soup, but what about the bread for dipping? Whether you choose crostini, toast, breadsticks, crackers, or a roll, these sides add delicious texture and a fun element to the experience of eating soup. Once you try some of these mouthwatering sides, you’ll never eat soup by itself again!
20 Minute Italian Bread Twists
Easy Homemade Garlic Knots
Storing Leftover Cream of Zucchini Soup
This soup is perfect for storing. It refrigerates well and also freezes, giving you a quick and delicious option for dinners!
- In the Refrigerator: Store soup in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- In the Freezer: You can store your soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating. Some separation may occur, so give it a good stir before serving.
- Reheating: My favorite way to reheat this soup is on the stove over medium heat. I just stir it occasionally until it is completely warmed through. You can also pop it in the microwave! I like to start at 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds, and then add additional time until it is completely warm. The more soup you are reheating, the longer this process will take.
Creamy Zucchini Soup
- 3 pounds zucchini quartered
- 1 small onion quartered
- 4 cups chicken broth vegetable also works
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot add the zucchini and onion. Add the chicken broth Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the onion and zucchini are tender.
- Using a blender or immersion blender blend until the soup is smooth and creamy. Add in the parmesan cheese and heavy cream and stir until heated through. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Great way to use abundance of garden zucchini. I also added a couple of small yellow squash to the mix along with some small peppers and jalapeno from the garden. I froze and will use as first course prior to pork tenderloin entrée. Thanks for recipe!
Alyssa..I made your cream of zucchini today and also used your Italian seasoning..it was absolutely awesome and so easy to prepare..I love zucchini and I had everything I needed to make it..thank you so much for sharing your recipe..love your blog!