Hey everyone! Chelsea back from Chelsea’s Messy Apron to share one of my favorite dinner recipes.
I have a huge obsession with Hawaiian haystacks. You’ve all heard of them right? Some form of shredded meat on top of rice with a variety of different toppings to chose from? Otherwise known as: the best food ever.
I’ve adapted a traditional Hawaiian haystack dish into a cook-in-your oven, all-in-one-place kind of dish. And so not only is it super easy, it’s also super delicious! I hope you enjoy!
Easy Hawaiian Haystacks
- 1 cup white or brown rice + water
- 2 breast boneless skinless chicken about 1 and 1/2 cups
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
Toppings of choice such as: black olives, cherry tomatoes, crispy chow mein noodles, drained crushed pineapple, green onions
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- If baking the casserole right away, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the chicken completely in boiling water. Let cool and shred with two forks. Set aside.
- Combine 2 cups boiling water with the 2 chicken bouillon cubes (or sub 2 cups of chicken broth) and set aside for one minute.
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, melt the butter. Slowly whisk in the flour until completely combined with no chunks (a thick dough will form). Whisk in the chicken broth (the boiling water with bouillon cubes), pepper, salt, and garlic salt.
- Stir over low heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and shredded chicken.
- Cover the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan with rice. Place the chicken mixture on top and cover with tin foil. If not cooking right now, place in the fridge.
- If cooking now, place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, cover with the cheese and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and place toppings of choice on casserole.