Meatloaf Sandwiches are the best combination meals with all your favorite toppings! They are juicy, full of flavor and perfect for lunch or dinner!
Best Meatloaf Sandwich
This classic comfort food is tender, juicy, and packed with flavor. There is just something about a meatloaf sandwich that can take you back to the good old days, and make everything seem right with the world. Let’s face it we make meatloaf so we can have leftovers. Meatloaf is better the second day anyway, and I cannot think of a better way to eat them in this luscious sandwich. Oh, and this is not a cold meatloaf sandwich for the past, this is hot and heavenly!
Start with a meatloaf that is perfectly seasoned and baked to perfection and you cannot go wrong. You can use either this incredible instant pot recipe or this glazed meatloaf recipe and the sandwich will be destined for greatness. Pan grilling it will not only warm it up but give it a nice crust to the meatloaf that elevates your sandwich to the next level. You and your family are going to love this!
Ingredients For Leftover Meatloaf Sandwich
Start with your leftover meatloaf and go from there. Topping options are customizable and delicious.
- Meatloaf: Of course we are using leftover meatloaf here. Either this incredible instant pot recipe or this Glazed Meatloaf will work.
- Butter: Softened so it is spreadable on the bread.
- Bread: I used crusty French bread for a crunchy, chewy texture.
Have your meatloaf sandwich plain or add to it with these fun toppings to spruce it up a bit. The toppings are optional and endless!
- Sliced Red Onion
Let’s Make Your Sandwich!
This is as easy as a grilled cheese sandwich, only upscaled! It is simple to use leftover meatloaf then add your toppings and cook together for the perfect meatloaf sandwich!
- Make the Meatloaf ahead of time: Using the leftover meatloaf slices, add to a medium-sized skillet.
- Prepare Bread: Brush the side of the bread with butter and place facing down in the skillet. Top on side of the slice with cheese. Heat until melted and meatloaf is heated through.
- Create Your Sandwich! Assemble sandwich with desired toppings.
Tips for the Ultimate Meatloaf Sandwich
If your family loves meatloaf, make two, just so you can have leftovers to make these down home, comfort food morsels of awesomeness! This meatloaf sandwich will become another family favorite!
- Slices of Meatloaf: How thick you slice your meatloaf matters. Think of who you are feeding, little mouths need thinner slices. Bigger mouths can handle a bigger slice.
- Pan-frying: Pan-frying the meatloaf gives it that beautiful tasty crust on the meatloaf that you are going to love. Cooking it at the same time as the bread also means everything gets done at the same time! Everything will be nice and hot and melty! YUM!
- Good Quality Bread: I used french bread for this sandwich which is a nice choice. You want bread that can hold up to the meatloaf and toppings and not fall apart on you while you eat it. Ciabatta, thick-sliced sourdough, and Italian bread are all good choices. Even a good thick-sliced white bread can be amazing. You can also use hamburger buns, pretzel buns, or ciabatta rolls.
Variations and Sides
Meatloaf sandwiches are great bases for customization and what you serve with it can turn this sandwich into a tasty meal. It is easy to make and adds another dinner to the menu!
- Cheese: I highly recommend cheese, because everything tastes better with cheese! I used American but the possibilities are up to you. Try Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Provolone, Havarti, or even for kick, Pepper jack.
- Sauce: I love sauces and how they can completely change the flavor and add to your dish. You can do all sorts of flavors here. Fry sauce, Yum Yum Sauce, BBQ Sauce, Chick-Fil-A Sauce, and for a kick Buffalo Sauce!
- Toppings: Lettuce and tomato offer freshness that I love. Other options include pickles, grilled onions, mushrooms, bacon, jalapenos, and crispy onion straws.
- Sides: A good side dish or two can really make a meal delicious. Roasted vegetables are yummy, try Brown Butter Roasted Carrots or Lemon Parmesan Asparagus. This Jiffy Corn Casserole is only 5 ingredients and super yummy. Of course, potatoes are always awesome with meatloaf, if you have leftover mashed potatoes, try these Mashed potato pancakes! Add a fruit salad like this Creamy Grape Salad or a Pasta Salad and you have you will have one heck of a meal!
- 4 slices meatloaf
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 8 slices bread I used crusty french bread
- sliced red onion
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.